Welcome to Math 183
The purpose of this class is to establish the mathematical foundations underlying the practices used in statistical analysis.
Instructor office hours: (click here)
TED: Check your grades.
Piazza: Online discussion forum.
CAPE Response Rate
Good news, everyone! As of 8:55 this morning, the CAPE response rate was 91.4%. This means we will drop the lowest homework score. Good job, everyone!
I will hold a review session Monday evening. Click here for more information.
Do you remember that estimator we found in class? The one I didn't check to see if it was unbiased because it required using integration by parts FOUR TIMES? It turns out it's UNBIASED! Do you want to see the computations? Just click this link!
- The PDF comes from Exercise 5.2.5 in the textbook, but the exercise only asks you to find the maximum likelihood estimate. It does not ask you to check to see if it is unbiased. (This topic doesn't even come up until Section 5.4.)
- I would never ask you to check for unbiasedness when it is this involved.
- Holy cow! I cannot believe this estimator is unbiased!
Office Hours for Finals Week
Updated office hours for finals week:
Homework 7 is now due on 6 Jun 2012. (See here.)
- The final exam will be Friday, June 15 in Peterson 108 (3-6pm).
(Click here for more.)
- The final exam covers 2.2-2.7 and 3.2-3.9, 4.2-4.3, 5.2-5.4.
- Here are some sample problems for the final exam.
- Solutions to the Midterm Practice Problems can be found here (under "Downloads").
- Solutions to the homework problems and midterm exam can be found on the class Piazza site.
Solutions to the practice problems are here.
ALSO: Don't forget that solutions to the homework problems can be found on the class Piazza site.
Homework 5 is now due on 16 May 2012. Later homework assignments have been altered to make up for this change. Please see the list of homework assignments for the new due dates/assignments.
Maryann Hohn will hold a review session on Monday, May 7 from 7:30-8:30 pm in Ledden Auditorium.
- The midterm exam will be held (during class time) on Wednesday, May 9.
(Click here to find your exam location.)
- The midterm covers 2.2-2.7 and 3.3-
3.63.5 (not 3.6).
- Here are some sample problems for the midterm.
Our lecture hall has been changed to LEDDN AUD (Ledden Auditorium). You should go there for class from now on. (university map)