Real Analysis, Fall 2017
Time and Place: TuTh 8:00-9:20am in APM B412.
12/04: The final will will cover everything we discussed in class up to (and including) section 3.4.
12/02: Here is a solution to homework 7, provided by Xuefeng Shen.
10/23: The midterm exam will cover everything we discussed in class up to (and including) section 2.3.
10/23: Here are the notes for make-up-lecture held on Monday, October 23rd.
Your scores will be recorded on TED.
10/12: The deadline for Homework 3 has been extended to Tuesday, October 24th. The instructor
will be having additional office hours on Tuesday, October 17th, from 11am-1pm.
10/12: The lecture on Thursday, October 19th, and office hour on Wednesday, October 18th, will be cancelled. A make-up lecture will be announced later in the quarter.
10/02: The instructor's office hour on Monday, October 9th, will be from 12:30pm-1:30pm instead of the regular time.
09/28: The lecture room has been changed to APM B412.
Prerequisites: Math 140A-B-C.
Course description: First course in a three-quarter graduate
sequence on real analysis. Topics covered include measures, integration, and differentiation.
Gerald B. Folland, Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Applications, 2nd edition, Wiley, 1999. We will cover most of chapters 1-3.
Homework: Homework will be assigned weekly.
Homework is due at the beginning of the class of the due date.
There will be a total of nine problem sets and you should attempt to complete
all of them.
If, for any reason, you cannot turn in a homework assignment, keep in mind that the lowest score
will be dropped.
Midterm Exam: There will be one in-class midterm on
Thursday, November 2nd.
Final exam: The final
exam is scheduled for Tuesday, December 12th,
8:00am-11:00am. The final exam will be cumulative.
Grading: Your final score will be calculated according to the following scheme:
20% Homework + 30% Midterm + 50% Final Exam
Policy: No late homework will be accepted and no rescheduled or make-up exams will be allowed unless a
written verification of a valid excuse (such as hospitalization,
family emergency, religious observance, court appearance, etc.) is provided.
List of homework assignments:
- Homework 1, due October 5th: exercises 1, 3, 4, 5 from page 24, and
these two additional problems.
- Homework 2, due October 12th: exercises 6, 12, 14 from page 27, and exercises 17, 18 (parts a and b), 24 from pages 32-33.
- Homework 3, due October 24th : exercises 26, 28, 29, 30, 31 from pages 39-40, and
this additional problem.
- Homework 4, due October 26th: exercises 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11 from pages 48-49.
- Homework 5, due November 2nd: exercises 14, 15, 16 from page 52, and exercises 19, 20, 21, 26 from pages 59-60.
- Homework 6, due November 9th: exercises 34, 35, 36, 38, 42, 44 from page 63.
- Homework 7, due November 16th: exercises 39, 40 from page 63, and exercises 45, 46, 48, 51 from pages 68-69.
- Homework 8, due November 30th: exercises 53, 56, 59 from pages 76-77, and exercises 4, 6, 7 from page 88.
- Homework 9, due December 7th: exercises 13, 16, 17 from pages 92-93, and exercises 20, 21 from pages 94-95.