Bylaws of the UCSD Student Chapter
for Women in Mathematics
Founded October 5, 2007
Article I: Name
- This organization shall be
called the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Student Chapter of
the Association for Women
in Mathematics. In these Bylaws it is referred to as the Chapter; the
Association for Women in Mathematics is referred to as the AWM.
- The Chapter is organized and
will be operated for educational and scientiﬁc purposes to promote the
- an increased knowledge of and
greater interest in the mathematical sciences, including pure and
statistics, and their applications;
- a greater understanding of the
contributions of women in the mathematical sciences; and
- mentoring and encouraging
women and girls as they prepare for careers in the mathematical
Article III: Membership
- Membership in the Chapter shall
be open to any student at UCSD, regardless of gender, race, color,
religion, age, national
origin, sexual orientation, or disability.
Article IV: Executive Council
- The Executive Council shall
consist of the Officers (see Article VI), the Sponsor (see Article V),
and Chairs of the Standing
Committees (see Article VIII).
Article V: Sponsor
- Each Chapter shall have a
Sponsor. The Sponsor shall be a faculty member of UCSD and a member of
- The Sponsor shall be generally
responsible for the activities of the Chapter. Speciﬁcally, the
- helps provide continuity from
year to year as student leadership and personnel change; and
- helps maintain university
standards in all activities of the Chapter.
Article VI: Officers
- The Officers of this Chapter
shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The
Treasurer position may be
combined with either the Vice President or Secretary position.
- Each of the Officers of the
Chapter must be a member of AWM.
- The Officers shall be elected by
a plurality of the votes cast by the Chapter members in an Annual
Election. The Officers shall
take office on and serve for one year.
- No person may serve in the
office of President or Vice President for more than two consecutive
- If a vacancy should arise
between elections, the Executive Council shall appoint a new Officer to
ﬁll the vacated post until the
Article VII: Duties of Officers
- The President is the principal
Officer and is responsible for leading the Chapter and managing its
activities in accordance with
the policies and procedures of the AWM and these chapter bylaws. The
shall preside at all meetings of the Chapter and of its Executive
- The Vice President shall preside
at meetings in the absence of the President, assist the President in
the management of the Chapter,
and perform other duties that may be assigned by the President.
- The Secretary shall keep the
minutes of all Chapter and Executive Council meetings. Other duties of
the Secretary include:
- Maintaining the records of the
- Annual submission of the
Officer and Sponsor contact information to the AWM Headquarters;
- Submission of any proposed
amendment to these bylaws to the AWM Committee on Student Chapters
must be approved by AWM before they
can be submitted to the Chapter’s membership for a vote);
- Tallying and reporting votes from the
Annual Election; and
- Handling other correspondence
pertaining to chapter business.
- The Treasurer shall collect
dues, pay all bills, and maintain the Chapter’s ﬁnancial records.
Duties of the Treasurer also shall
- Preparation of the Chapter’s Annual
Financial Report for annual presentation to the Chapter.
Article VIII: Standing Committees
- The following standing
committees are recommended: Program and Publicity.
- The Program Committee shall
plan and make arrangements for Chapter meetings.
- The Publicity Committee shall
maintain a mailing list for and publish and distribute all notices and
publicity to the
members of the Chapter.
- Additional committees may
include, but are not limited to, the following: Membership, Community
Outreach, Seminar Series, Site
Visits, and Collaborative Events.
- The Chair of each Standing
Committee shall serve on the Executive Council.
Article IX: Temporary Committees
- The President may appoint
temporary committees as appropriate.
Article X: Meetings and Activities
- Meetings shall be held only in
places that are open and accessible to all members of the
- All meetings of the Chapter
shall be publically adverstised via written (e.g., ﬂyers) or electronic
(e.g., web page) means.
Article XI: Publications and
- Any publications or
communications (written, oral, or electronic), other than those of a
purely factual and non-controversial
nature, from the Chapter or any persons acting on behalf of the
include the following disclaimer: “The views expressed herein do not
the opinion of the Association for Women in Mathematics.”
Article XII: Disbursements and
- Disbursements from the Treasury
for Chapter expenditures shall be made by the Treasurer with
authorization of the Executive
Council and shall be included in the minutes of its meetings.
- Dues, if any, shall be ﬁxed
annually by the Executive Council.
Article XIII: Amendment and Voting
- All proposed changes to these
Chapter Bylaws shall be approved by the AWM Committee on Student
Chapters before being
presented to the Chapter membership for a vote.
- No official business of the
Chapter shall be conducted unless a quorum is involved. A quorum of the
Chapter shall be deﬁned as 10
percent of the voting membership of the Chapter or at least 3 members,
- A simple majority of the voting
members involved shall be required to carry a motion.
- Officers will be elected by a
plurality of votes cast.
Article XIV: Dissolution of the
- Failure to adhere to these
Bylaws may result in the suspension of the Chapter, as determined by
the AWM Committee on Student