Math 174/274 (Fall 2016)
Instructor: Li-Tien Cheng
Office: AP&M 5707
- MWF 9--9:50am in Peterson 103
- MF 10--10:50am, W 11--11:50am in AP&M 5707
TA Office Hours: M 2--3pm, F 4--4:50pm in SDSC 105E
- Th 4--4:50pm in AP&M 2402
- Th 5--5:50pm in AP&M 2402
Textbook: A Friendly Introduction to Numerical Analysis
by Brian Bradie.
Homework will be assigned regularly and due Monday of each week, with due times:
Late homework will not be accepted, however, the lowest
homework grade will be
- 11am, if turning in at AP&M 5707
- 12pm, if turning in at AP&M basement drop box
- 2--3pm, if turning in at SDSC 105E or 106E
dropped when determining the final grade for the
class. This should be reserved for
emergency purposes. In addition, those
participating in Math 274 are required to
complete additional problems on the homework of higher difficulty.
Your grade will be based on the scores of the homework, two midterms, and
exam. It will be calculated from taking the maximum of the
scores defined below:
Score #1 = (10% HW) + (25% Midterm) + (25% Midterm) + (40% Final)
Roughly half of the exams will be based on the homework assignments. There
Score #2 = (10% HW) + (25% Best Midterm) + (10% Other Midterm) + (55% Final)
Score #3 = Min of (HW,Best Midterm,Final)
no make-up exams. Those participating in Math 274 will be
required to complete
additional problems of higher difficulty on the
- 1st midterm will be on Wednesday, October 26.
- 2nd midterm will be on Wednesday, November 16.
- Covers from section 3.2 up to and including 5.3, or half of HW #3 to HW #6.
- Bring pen or pencil; student ID.
- No calculators; closed book; paper will be provided.
- Final exam will be on Wednesday 8--11am, December 7.
Current HW Schedule:
- HW #0, not due.
- HW #1, due Oct 10.
- Modified 10/7, fixed minor typos and added continuity to condition for problem 8
- Solution to Matlab: f.m,
- HW #2, due Oct 17.
- Modified 10/12, fixed minus sign in 3(a): x^2+x-3 = x
- Solution to Matlab: g.m,
- HW #3, due Oct 24.
- Modified 10/20, swapped the last two equations of linear system in #7(b)
- Solution to Matlab: gausselim.m
- HW #4, due Oct 31.
- Modified 10/26, made epsilon > 0 and < 1 for #2 and #3
- (274) Modified 10/28, clarified that #6(b) assumes the hypotheses of #6(a)
- Solution to Matlab: lufact.m
- HW #5, due Nov 7.
- HW #6, due Nov 14.
- HW #7, due Nov 21.
- HW #8, due Nov 28.
- HW #9, not due.