Math 270A (Fall 2020)
Instructor: Li-Tien Cheng
Office: AP&M 5707
- There is no lecture time. Lectures are all asynchronous, with videos regularly
for download on Canvas that you can watch anytime
TA Office Hours:
- Tu 2--2:50pm PT (We 5--5:50am GMT+8 during DST, 6--6:50am GMT+8 after)
- F 9--9:50am PT (Sa 12--12:50am GMT+8 during DST, 1--1:50am GMT+8 after)
- M 6--6:50pm PT (Tu 9--9:50am GMT+8 during DST, 10--10:50am GMT+8 after)
Daylight Saving Time (DST) ends Nov 1
Piazza has been activated here
to facilitate student discussions with each other
Textbook: Numerical Methods in Matrix Computations
- We will cover parts of sections 1.1--1.5, 1.7, 2.1--2.4, 3.1--3.4, 4.1--4.4
Homework will be assigned regularly and due on Tuesdays at 11:59pm via Gradescope.
Late homework will not be accepted.
The exams will be take-home exams, each of which you will have 24 hours to complete.
There will be no make-up exams.
- The midterm will be due on Thursday 11:59pm, November 5.
- Final exam will be due on Thursday 2:30pm, December 17.
Your grade will be based on the scores of the homework, one midterm, and
exam. It will be calculated on a curve of the final score:
Score = (25% HW) + (15% Midterm) + (60% Final)
The grade will reflect your mastery of the material for the qualifying exam.