Time and place: Thursdays , AP&M 5402 (except for the week of Feb.9 when it’ll be on
Tuesday , same room)
********** Announcements ************
· This biostatistics seminar continues next quarter, please sign up if you are interested.
· See references 7-9 for week 9 talk by Dr.Deutsch.
********** Schedule ************
· Week 1: organizational, Introduction to Biostatistics (Xu).
Week 2: clinical
trials (sequential, phase
· Week 3: observational studies (propensity score, instrumental variables) (Garner)
· Week 4: high-dimensional data (chapter 3 in book below) (Chan)
· Week 5: longitudinal data (Faig)
· Week 6 (Tues 2/9 11am): Dr. Natarajan (UCSD SOM)
· Week 7: Dr. Donohue (UCSD SOM)
· Week 8: on missing data (Dr.Ard, SOM)
· Week 9: Dr. Deutsch (UCSD SOM)
· Week 10: Dr. Shen (Amylin Pharmaceutical)
1. Cnaan, A., Laird, N.M. and Slasor, P. (1997) Using the general linear mixed model to analyse unbalanced repeated measures and longitudinal data. Statistics in Medicine, 16, 2349-2380.
2. Li and Xu (eds, 2008). High-Dimensional Data Analysis in Cancer Research. Springer.
al. (2002) Statistical methodology of phase
4. Jennison and Turnbull (1990). Statistical approaches to interim monitoring of medical trials: a review and commentary. Statistical Science, 5(3), 299-317.
5. Angrist, Imbens and Rubin (1996). Identification of causal effects using instrumental variables. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 91, 444-455.
6. D’Agostino RB, Jr. (1998) Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group. Statistics in Medicine, 17, 2265-2281.
7. Dohil et al (June 2006). Understanding intestinal cysteamine bitartrate absorption. Journal of Pediatrics, 764-769.
8. Marcotte, Deutsch et al (2003). Prediction of incident neurocognitive impairment by plasma HIV RNA and CD4 levels early after HIV seroconversion. Arch Neurol, 60, 1406-1412.
9. Deutsch R, Mindt MR, Xu R, Cherner M, Grant I, and the HNRC Group. Quantifying relative superiority among many binary-valued diagnostic tests in the presence of a gold standard. Journal of Data Science, 2009; 7(2): 161-177.