Project #4 -Math 155A - Student: Tim Wheeler
Here we see the same revolved surface, sin(x)/x, rendered using lighting. Three lights were placed in the scene
and are depicted by three colored spheres. These lights can be made locational or directional or turned of as desired.
The normals for the "sombrero" were calculated using the cross product of the derivates for each parameterized component,
here r and theta. The normal for the top of the somberom was hard coded in.
For my letter, 'T', I altered my original design using a rectangular shape and changed it into two cylinders.
This made the T somewhat more exciting and challenged my coding abilities. Also, curved surfaces were a requirement
for the project. You may notice that the top bar of my T no longer gets warped due to the radial distance of the curve.
I did not like that effect in project 3 and so spent some time removing it and getting everything to look right.
Surface normals for the veritcal bar were done using the vector cross product of the derviated for phi and theta, my two
parameterization values. This was rather tedius, so I used wolfram alpha to do it for me. The top bar was actually harder
to get right, and I ended up having to store several variables, including the normal of the top of the vertical bar and then
applied the rotation about an arbitrary axis function we learned in class to generate the correct points for the cylinder.
Notice that I did not split the cylinder up into small segments. Since there is no bending, finder resolution down its length
does not make a difference.
Overall this project was very interesting and definitely required some thinking to get it to work.
List of figures