Annotated Scene from RayTrace2
The RayTrace software is freely
available software that accompanies the book 3D
Computer Graphics: A Mathematical Introduction with OpenGL, by
Sam Buss, Cambridge University Press
2003. The front cover image of the book is a modified version of the
picture with the front Bezier surface removed and one of the interlocked tori
replaced with a Bezier surface.
This is the scene generated by RayTrace2, with the different types of shapes
- Glass Spheres
- A parallelogram with checkerboard texture is the floor
- A parallelogram with checkerboard texture with bilinear
warping forms the back wall.
- Spheres with checkerboard textures. Four more of
these are behind the large glass spheres.
- Ellipsoids. Two glass and with checkerboard texture.
- Right Cylinders, one with checkerboard texture.
- Two non-right cylinders. Glass, leaning together.
- Right cones. One has a checkerboard texture.
- Non-right cones. Glass.
- Two tori, interlocking. One is glass.
- Bezier surfaces. The one in front has yellow
exterior and checkerboard interior. The one in the back right is
perfect mirror. Both are rational surfaces and have circular
Web page by Sam Buss.