Math 87, Section B, Spring 2004 (Bender
Tuesday 11AM in AP&M 6438
- How real are winning and losing streaks? What about other claims in
- Are games fair --- what about home team adavantage in the World Series or
serving first in tennis?
- Is the team that wins the most games "best"? If winning teams
or valuable players are decided by voting, should we decide the winner?
- Records were set at the Mexico City olympics. Was this just due to
the fact that Mexico City is so high?
- How can we schedule matches? (There are conditions such as who
should play whom.)
- How can we bet on sports matches and win --- or can't we?
- On a lighter note: How important is size? For example, are fleas
better jumpers than people?
These are some of the questions that need various kinds of mathematics
--- probability, statistics, elementary and college algebra, combinatorics.
Some questions are connected with other subjects including physics, physiology
and social science. We won't assume any background in mathematics beyond,
maybe, a little calculus. Prof. Small will discuss baseball, especially
My Modules in Postscript and PDF